Monday, December 26, 2005

I spent my Christmas eve in camp and to be honest, I got a little depressed. It's not that I'm trying to win any sympathy votes here but you just gotta try being in my shoes. Christmas in 2005 to me felt just like any other day because when you're in camp, you hardly feel the Christmas spirit. It doesn't help that your camp is located in a super ulu place called Changi East Drive. To those who still don't know where my camp is, it's near Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal and it's near Changi Naval Base. The thing about me is that I like to picture myself enjoying Christmas eve together with my friends in town or even in the comforts of my own home surrounded by family and relatives but sad to say, I was sitting at the pass office with Mok and Shawn watching Ocean's Eleven while my sergeants were waiting for the BDO to arrive.

Yesh, that's how terrible my Christmas eve was for 2005. I don't even know what my Christmas in 2006 will be like. At least it was better than counting down at delta 5 with the F-16s planes which was what Jason and Marcus did. Ocean's Eleven ended at around 12am and there was no point for me to go sleep because I had duty at 1am. You guessed it, it was at delta 5. We ordered mac for supper as usual, not because it was Christmas eve or anything. We just wanted to eat something. After completing my duty at 4am, I walked back to bunk, sent arms and by the time I got to sleep, it was around 5am. Have to wake up at 6.30am again for my 7am duty. I didn't want to wake up really because I was damn damn tired. I spent my Christmas morning with Jason at viper 2 in the cold rainy morning where there was hardly any cars. I mean who in the right mind will want to come into a base on a public holiday?

Both of us spent the time talking and time passed rather quickly. Before we know it, the takeover came and it was time to book out. Quite disappointing that the 4.7 dinner didn't materialize as most of them couldn't make it. Keith went to Hong Kong for eg while the rest had other plans and Pek was down with food poisoning. I don't know what to make of the news after I called him. He was like trying to laugh at the other end of the phone but was probably too weak to do so. Well, there's always chances to meet up another time.

I came home and slept till it was early evening time and woke up to watch cable tv. My current vocation has rendered me to become a person with no life. People who are reading my entry will probably agree and I won't take any offence with them because it's true. I mean how many people actually spent their Christmas afternoon sleeping away. I did. I was so shagged out by my duties that I actually welcomed the chance to have some nap. To my many friends who felt sorry for me when they heard that I actually have to spend Christmas eve and my upcoming New Year in camp, I really appreciate it. When the going gets tough, it's friends you turn to most of the times. Just like in my camp, I spent my Christmas eve with the guys from shift 3. It's a memorable experience but it's one I could do without if I had a choice.

I was reading Ashley's blog and found out he's of the many army guys who spent their eve in camp. He had cos duty while the rest like Wilson kena guard duty. Girls and guys who do not have to serve their national service probably because they are foreigners, always remember that there are guys in Singapore who are suffering and paying a price with their freedom to ensure that Singapore remains safe and secure while the rest of you are out there partying away. Always remember that.

I was waiting for bus 74 at the bus stop near Holland Village to go acjc for soccer when I noticed this old woman who was wiping her sweat while walking past the bus stop where I was. She was a carrying a whole bagful of Yakult. She's probably one of those who peddle those Yakult drinks in the neighbourhood and was walking to her next destination to look for her next potential customers. My heart goes out to her just now because she looked real tired and she was having trouble trying to carry the bag. It must have been to heavy for an old woman like her but she didn't have choice? She needs the money to make a living. It's an ironic juxtaposition to see a poor old woman in Holland Village where most are pretty well-off. I don't have to say more.

Was watching Arsenal vs Charlton just now and it was pretty boring. I'm just glad that we that we've won 1-0 and stopped our losing streak. Hopefully we can carry on our winning ways and beat Portsmouth next.

What's the best Christmas present I had for 2005? Just the chance to book out. Really.


was alive and kicking at 10:52 PM


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com