Friday, February 02, 2007

Squash session after work today was a good one after not having touch a racket for more than 5 months if I'm not wrong. Camp commitments have rendered my squash skills to as good as none. Like Tong would have said, what skills to begin with in the first place. It shows that practice makes perfect and you can certainly go places with regular training. People like Homan have risen to D grade and Samuel has become a C grader. As much as I would like to call them my squash juniors, we're no longer in school and they're my friends now. That's how fast time flies. They're way way much better than Gerald and Tong now. To be honest, I was never in their league. I treated squash like a recreational game.

Practically got thrashed in every game I played today until the match against mianli where we played 3 sets. Lost the first 2 and won the last set with a thriller 9-8 scoreline. However, mianli was gracious enough to give me lots of chances. It's amazing how much these guys have surpassed us. Back then, we were making them run around the courts but now the tables have turned. I need a new pair of court shoes and a new racket and it means I need the cash for it. I just realized that this pair of shoes has been with me for at least 3 years if I'm not wrong. Even though they're still usable if I need a pair of shoes for soccer, they're not longer suitable for court use. I hope to get a pair of either adidas or prince ones. Not to mention a head or techifibre racket which should be within my budget.

The thing about sports like golf, squash and tennis, you can't afford to save money on it. Buy a lousy product and you pay for it with lousy results. I started off with a freaking heavy $60 wilson racket(a beginner's racket for newbies) and it was more than 200g. My wilson silver coloured hybercarbon broke after 1 month and it was a painful break for me. I bought it for $169 and it lasted for only a short while. Can you imagine how disgusted I was. Wilson rackets are no doubt sleek and good for posing on the courts but they're not durable. Looks like it's only head or rox that I can trust. I'm not so sure about prince even after years of trying. I tried Shaun's triple threat just now and even thought it was good for driving but I screwed up the other shots.

Tong reminded me of something that made laugh today. He sacked me as qm of squash and I thought he was joking at first. He gave me the tough decision of choosing between squash and rugby. I chose the latter because it was my first love. I remained in squash and at the end of jc2, I actually got the cca points for the qm position even though I did nothing.

Nevertheless, it was good to start playing squash again. I wish I can go back to the standard that I once was but it's gonna be difficult. Stamina, speed and my strokes are all gone. It's as good as starting from the basics again. Well, everything starts afresh after army. I guess it's the same for squash as well.


was alive and kicking at 11:10 PM


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com