|
|
![]() |
|
![]() |
|
|
Monday, June 04, 2007 Saturday was a day that I've managed to attempt to play 2 sports(soccer in the afternoon and followed by squash in the evening) after having gone so long without doing that. To recall the last time I did such a thing, I would probably have to go back to 2 years ago when i was still in jc. My rugby and squash training never really clashed so I could still faithfully go for both trainings but there would surely come a time when it did. Let's say there is rugby training in the late afternoon on wednesday and it happens to be a squash training day as well , it's a tough choice to make. The best I could do was to show face for a little while before going off for rugby. But even then, I don't squash until I was so tired that going for rugby seemed like a torture. However, I played soccer on saturday that I eventually dropped out from the game. That was like after 4 solid hours of the game. It was like shawn first, joses, turtle, me and then kaiting. Let's just say we lose the momentum as we were quite tired and every step needed an extra effort. That was a telling sign to tell myself that it's time to call it quits. So I sat down and took a drink of water and that was it. End of soccer for this week. Like what they say after we ended the game, "There's no need to push ourselves so hard, there's always next saturday to look forward to". Even though I told myself there'll probably only be 10% chance of playing squash, I still brought along my racket. There's always this hope that I might not be so shagged and I could probably squeeze in a game or two. However, when I reached nus, I was so tired that I nearly dozed off and struggled to watch the game in front of me. The urge to play shaun was there and I just change out of my sandals and into the court I went and a second game with gerald. That was it, I could barely come out of the court after that. Had to like squat inside the court for a min before I could stand up. Injuries aside, my other fear is that the cramps that could suddenly come out from nowhere and leave you unable to continue with your game. It could also potentially take you out for a few days and even weeks. A concussion in year 1 after a back tackle by a jjc rugby senior left me out for 1 week and everytime I closed my eyes, the world inside me was spinning. I never wanted to go through that again in my life. That's why I've bought myself a headguard even though it's very expensive. You don't put a dollar value and compare it with your life. With adequate protection, I'm able to play better. After like 2 hours of soccer, my thigh muscles start to tighten, there could only be a few reasons. Lack of stretching, the body needs hydration or your body is tired after so long. I'll hydate myself in between the games to prevent heat exhaustion because the afternoon sun is very hot. These few weeks of saturdays had been pretty rewarding because I've achieved what I've wanted. The exercise I need from the runabout, play abit of squash and soccer and being able to catch up with sec school friends. I wonder how long this soccer thingy can go on and there is this concern that once university starts, the people coming will start to decrease slowly and eventually it might cease operation. However, turnout had been very encouraging so far, considering we left acs(I) 5 years ago and those acjc people who joined us left acjc 2 years ago. The love for the game and eager for some kickabout plus the need to catch up means that this could go on forever. Let's not worry too much. Take each week as it comes. Life has been pretty good to me so far, I'm not going into the fact that I've leading a simple life all over again because all my friends would have known by now. I'm rather contended with what I've right now. Still in contact and meet up with my sec school friends, friends not just from my classes( from 1.7, 2.7,3.7,4.7) but also those from other classes. Why did I mention all those numbers? I was one of the lucky few to be able to stay in .7 during 4 years of secondary school education. Being from double science doesn't mean that you can't make friends from other classes. I even knew a few from gep. Chun Hong from band, Si Mian(I don't know how I know this polo captain, probably from soccer) and the Teng Chi from bmt and my unit. Soccer is like the best way to make friends. It's like I don't know nas from acjc track but because he plays in my team every week, a smile, a pat on his shoulder and a handshake and we're like friends already. I've got my family, friends, university is just 1 month plus away and a good career awaiting for me once I graduate. I can't ask for much more. Some will ask me, "Why are you so easily contended with life?" I guess it's the fact that those 2 years in army have given me ample time to actually plan and mapped out what I want for not just university but also my future job. The first 3 months of jc life has shown that I'm not cut out for science despite my love for biology. Add to the fact of my phobia for maths and that actually reduced a large number of options for me. That left me with 2 pretty obvious questions. Am I just going to FASS and see out the remaining 4 years of university life just like that? Quietly go with the flow of people and hope for the best? That's not me. You can't do much with that degree in arts. Business was perhaps next best alternative and it was a viable option with a good career out of it next time. However, a stint in jc economics left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, it's not as bad as maths but it didn't really interest me that much. It was fun analysing the questions and seeing the solutions come out after taking a long time to work it out. Felt good that you'll be able to apply what you've learnt in econs to daily life affairs. Sometimes, it left me wondering whether the people who published those guide books and notes think too much. Pretty much often it's a very simple and obvious outlook. There is no need to go into depth for it. Being in business meant that I probably have to work in an office and hide myself in some cubicle filled with a desk and computer. That's not me. So during those quiet and lonely nights of guard duties, it all boils down to one answer. I simply had to follow my heart and just what I want to do in next time after I graduate from university. Teach. Most people were in disbelief when I told them of my choice of career. The latest being Joel on msn yesterday night but after I told him my reasons, he could understand. Even my mother was pretty skeptical about my choice at first, she was worried that I was doing it hastily without giving it much thought. However, I've reassured her that everything is going to turn out all right. I mean what's the point of convincing people, the toughest job was to convince myself when I applied to ntu in 2005. I would like to thank the many teachers that influenced me not just in peps, acs(I) and but also jjc. I'm thankful my parents never pressured me in anything and being able to do what I love is something I'm grateful for. In fact, they're very supportive of me. Teachers in primary school are probably the adult strangers that you will come into contact with alot when you start enter primary 1. They are the role models that we will look up to not just for help but also for timely advice. I remember breaking my one of my tooth after eating some friend pieces of cuttlefish and I immediately ran to my chinese teacher, Cai laoshi, it's a pity I can't remember her full name. I even have problems thinking about pri school, let alone my teachers. She calmed me down and brought me to the school dentist. I mean I would like to go back to peps one day but most of the teachers in my time would have moved on, even if some were still around, they won't remember me also. Teachers like Mr Ong Eng Sun, Mr Timothy Lim, Mr Chong Koy Choy, Mr Tahilala(relief teacher who came in for Mr Tim Lim when he was away and he's a former student of Mr Lim as well!), Mr See Teck Hock, Mrs Lee Gek Kim, Mr Michael Doyle, Mr Brian Chirnside, Mrs Quek Yi Lik, Miss Thiru and not forgetting the Pe Department. Many of them were excellent athletes in their schoolboys days and returned to acs(I) to help nuture the next generation of champions. Many of like Mrs Lee were just teaching for a living but because of their passion. Somehow this passion for teaching gets passed to their students who are able to detect it. This makes the whole lesson much more enjoyable. There's Mr Michael Doyle who dressed up in a vest and tie and if you see him outside, you'll probably think he's some manager. Mr Chong has probably the toughest job in acs(I), convincing the whole acs(I) cohort who speaks in English that Chinese is worth learning. Here's the jjc teachers who made an impression on me. Mr Arthur Kok, Mr Tay Theng Hwee, Miss Mandy Cheng, Mr Annan, Miss Yap Chern Kai and the PE Department as well(In particular Mr Ng and Mr Seah). Let's just say Mr Seah was the main reason why I chose pe over one of my favourite subjects, geography. Being able to combine my love for sports and teaching is something no words can describe. These pe teachers don't just train you up physically but also important in your personal well-being. Take for example when I was having pe during a j1 lesson, Mr Ng pulled the whole class aside and talked to us. It happened to be the a levels results day and he told us that come next year when we're done with the a levels, it's our time to collect the results. There will be tears, both joy and sadness but he hoped to see all of us happy. That was particularly defining moment in my jc life. Even my pe teachers in acs(I) didn't really bother to do that. It was like other than geography lessons in jc, pe was perhaps the next lesson I looked forward. After a long day of school, I just wanna be out there on the track and running my lungs out. At the end of it, I may be tired but surprisingly less stress and more relieved. Indeed exercise is one of the main stress-remover. After 2 years of national service, that chapter of army life has closed. It's time to go back to being a student. Which means after 2 years of ending my popular bookshop student membership card, I need to go and apply for it soon. July 25th is the day school starts. I can't wait for it.
|
||||
|
|
|
|
|
|