Saturday, September 15, 2007

This is a trying period for my malay classmates and friends in pess. With the fasting month now in full swing, it's not easy having to balance their religious commitments with their school work. Which is why respect goes out to them. They've been fasting since young so it's not really a big problem for them but from our perspective, it's really not an easy thing to do. Even my lecturers are very concern for their well-being, constantly checking on them.

Having to exercise and sometimes participate in physically-exhuasting activities, it's a mean feat to not eat and drink water in particular. Even after today's badminton pog class, we played soccer together. My first-hand experiences with fasting began in lower secondary when during rugby training, Ridzuan not only survived through the training but also the subsequent shadow matches without having to drink a single drop of water. Meanwhile, the thirsty me has to reach for water every now and then. Sometimes, my malay friends put me to shame. However, they have taught and I've learnt something from over the years. I've got a higher tolerance when it comes to a lack of water in my water. During games and matches, I've forced myself to think of something else instead of the immediate needs.

Shah gave me a ride to Jurong Point after school today and I seriously think this guy is one of the few that bonds and gels the class together. Even though he is the degree track, he's teaching primary school so we hardly get to see each other except for pe modules. If I didn't know him, I wouldn't know he's married and in his late twenties. His character shines through and keeps him young. He's perhaps the role model of how to age gracefully.

In the pess cohort, there are people who are married, married with kids and attached couples. That's perhaps what makes NIE so different from the rest of the faculties in ntu. You meet people from all kinds of backgrounds in the campus. I would say these people have shared with me or I've learnt something from them throughout the past 2 months here. Recently, I even found out there is an ex-major in the pgde class. Pretty smart of him to make a career switch now before it's too late. There might be a huge drop in salary but I'm sure the career now is more meaningful than before.

Recently, the idea that we're all growing old has been something that I've pondering over recently. Even though I'm only 21 years old, before you know it, I'm gonna be 25 when I graduate from university and it's straight to the working life society. It does bring me to a question that maybe it's time to settle down for good. Like Shah says, having a wife really rocks his life. After a long day in school, you come home to a nice, warm and delicious home-cooked meal. There is somebody to share your joys and problems with.

It's been a long time since I last experience that feeling.


was alive and kicking at 3:49 AM


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com