Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Did I mention that I met my one of my favourite malay sisters from jjc in nie? Of all places, in the examination hall like minutes before the papers started. I do get along very well with Diyana and Zakiah back in jjc but somehow I just lost touch with Zakiah after a levels. She's just one of those cheery faces you need when the going gets touch in school and it was really tough for me back then. When you see her around in school, she will like start cracking jokes and all and make you forget whatever worries you have.

So I was turning around and offering my ricola sweets to Shah my classmate when I suddenly heard this voice from the right side of my ear "Fabby!" I turned around and saw this very familiar looking face and when I realized who it was, I wanted to like stand up and walk over and start a long conversation with her but upon realizing I'm in an examination hall, all I could was wave, say hi and offer her some of my sweets. I have this thing about eating sweets before and even during the paper itself because it calms me down alot. I don't get nervous and I don't start worrying about this and that. Found that she's gonna be a future literature teacher and a history minor as well. That's the thing about the people in nie, we're all taking the subjects we like and not being forced to study or take modules that's really out of this world. For me, it happens to be maths.

It's good to know there're familar faces in nie, idayu from jjc is also another girl whom I know back who's also in nie. That's the thing about nie, it's a small family and you practically know or have seen that person somewhere around in campus before. This is especially true in the PESS side where we are arranged into classes. I mean when you say there are classes in jc, I would understand but in uni? I was very surprised but thankful that I got myself a good class. We're probably the only faculty in Singapore to have a class but it's because of the specialized modules we're taking that resulted in us having a class.

Spent my Saturday catching my final batch of horsecrabs for this module of mine which requires us to pair up with a group of students to conduct activities like camps, enrichment programmes or other educational lessons. We managed to be one of the first few group in the degree programme to complete it so fast and that means we only have to write 2 reflections regarding our comments on this activity that we've organized for the students of Bt View Secondary. It was good for them to get out there and get down and dirty because Singapore students nowadays are just too pampered and spoilt. As the mud from the mangrove swamp can be up to my knee level sometimes, I was pretty surprised that even though some of the girls and even guys minded the fact that it was dirty, they kinda looked forward to it and wanted to experience the feeling of catching the crabs themselves.

I like the satisfaction of being able to provide of pillar of support to those students who were assigned to me, Zhao Ming and Boon Hui. Holding on to my arm and providing benevolence and security (values we've learnt in intro to pe module) to them. They trust you and see you as someone they can depend on in times of difficulty. Students are often insecure and lack self-competence in a sports or educational environment and it's really up to us to push that fear out of their mind. Even their physics teacher was very sporting. even at the risk of dropping his newly-bought camera into the mud and took of his sandals and followed his students around the muddy banks. It's for building teacher-student relationship in moments like these as well. Both the students and teacher get to see a side of each other they won't really have a chance to see in the classroom setting. The bonding gets stronger as well.

Once I'm done with gesl, I went to nus to play squash (yes, it's smth I've not done close to a month thanks to my revision and exams) and one could really tell what it has done to me in terms of whatever skills I've got left. Well, exams are over and it's really back to playing squash and soccer without any interference and no worries. I really want to enjoy myself during this semester before a new one starts in 2008.

Turnout for the class soccer today was really good, much much better than I expected. I didn't really make a head count but those that promised to turn up did and there were even 1 or 2 additional ones that came and that's good. We had a solid 2 hours of soccer and there were funny moments to remember as well. Like how Lionel kicked the ball into the branches of this nearby tree and it got stuck. When Junwen managed to bring 2 more balls to rescue the trapped one, one of the balls even got stuck on it. We really thought it wasn't really gonna be our day but thanks to faz and a stroke of luck, he managed to dislodged both balls with the help of a bottle and some of lionel's strength. Cat 1 halted our game but it was a day well spent nonetheless. Just good to go out there and get a decent workout.

I'm trying to make this a weekly affair if possible. We're a class and it's time to really start bonding with whatever free time we've got. 4 years together, short it may but it's really a long long day away. I'm just trying to play as much soccer as possible so those with games to spare, do give me a message or call. I'll really appreciate it.

Readings reports and hearing news about the dragon accident really does led me thinking these 2 days. Life is really so unpredictable to be spent worrying about things that doesn't rank high on anyone's importance list. We should be putting the time to good use and spending it with our family and closed friend instead. It's trying period for their friends and family who're affected by it. One of them is even a njc pe teacher who had a enriching career to look forward to and he's suddenly gone just like that.

I wanna live life to the fullest, please do as well.


was alive and kicking at 12:06 AM


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com