|
|
![]() |
|
![]() |
|
|
Thursday, July 17, 2008 School experience is going to take up quite a bit of my entries so I'm not gonna talk about it first. Was watching the last episode of the show "Everest, Beyond the Limit 2" that was shown on discovery channel. Indeed an inspiring show for those who didn't manage to catch a single episode of it. If I knew that I had missed the actual telecast on weekdays, I'll stay up late to either watch it after midnight or catch the repeat on saturdays. Viewers like us may not be there in person but it was a terrifying experience as the cameras bring us up close with each and every step that the climbers take. Give respect to this 71 year old man, Yanagisawa, who not only went to the summit and came down safely (much to my relief), he also set the world record for being the oldest man to reach the top of the world's highest mountain. Another man, Tim, went on to reach the top despite climbing with a broken hand. Perhaps the most emotional part was the one where they were having a debrief. Yanagi said that he didn't ascend the mountain to break the world record but to conquer himself and the mountain. Young people have tried and failed but this old man never gave up but it did take its toll on his body. Half the battle was only won when climbers reached the summit, the other half is to reach advanced base camp (ABC) safely. There was a moment where I thought Yanagi wanted to give up and die on the mountain when he was simply too exhuasted to descend to ABC. He uttered words like "This is my mountain and I want to stay here". For those like me who didn't really understand what's going on, they might have thought he had wanted to die on this mountain. However, all he wanted was a longer rest or to spend the night at north col. A person his age will face the prospect of dying the longer he spends at a higher altitude. It's a cliche but it goes to show that for someone who sets his mind on achieving something, it can be done. Yes, there may/will be obstacles along the way but the satisfaction comes from overcoming them. Knowing that you've overcomed them not only gives the person a much needed experience but also lessons in life that he/she can reflect on. Life will no doubt be the same for those who have reached the summit. Their views on life will have taken on a different note. Some like Morgens will go back to Denmark to marry his girlfriend while Tim will continue to search for his sole purpose in life. One thing is for sure, life will never be the same again. Mount Everest has "allowed" over 500 climbers to reach her summit this season alone but let us not forget the 7 climbers who died trying to. One thing I like about this show is that the footage they've have shown is as real as it can get. That include a body of a dead climber who was half buried in the snow lying face down. It could be the missing Italian climber for all we know. There's always a purpose in life that carries us forward. For Morgens, it's his girlfriend who gives him the energy to propel himself forward. What's ours? Take for example during our ns days, we train hard but safe too. I always tell myself no matter what happens, I need to return home safely to my parents and friends. No point being a garang soldier and risk being injury or losing your life. Ultimately, before we do something, let's us think of who we will affect before making our decisions. It's been 3 weeks since I've pulled my ankle ligament and so far it's more or less back to normal. 2 weeks is the normal recovery period but I always give myself an additional 1 more week before I attempt to do anything that's weight-bearing. A small 3-a-side soccer game on Monday allowed me to do a slow jog and kick some balls. I've become like Andy Roddick - wearing ankle guards on both legs for safety reasons. Honestly, prevention is always better than cure and I'm afraid to get injured again. With so many sports modules to cover and school to attend, I cannot afford to get injured. By this weekend or next week, I hope to do some light running before getting back to full fitness. Just like the epl season that's soon to begin, this is like pre-season for me and my classmates, attempting to get back to doing some stuff before school begins. For me, it's a long road to recovery but it's my body's way of telling me that I need some rest. Doing some stretching and flexing exercises that will help strengthen my leg muscles/ligaments are the best ways to avoid a re-injury. I miss my weekly dosage of soccer. Just like the stories I've seen on the Mount Everest show, no point going all out just to win the ball or score that goal, think of yourself and others before making that ultimate decision. Is it worth risking that injury? Absolutely not.
|
||||
|
|
|
|
|
|