Sunday, November 23, 2008

A good weekend which was spending on catching up on lots of good food and spending some quality time with my family. For the past few months, I've negelected them but my mother especially, continued to make me herbal tea and all those cooling stuff when she saw me working hard and late into the night. Friends will always be there but ultimately, one's family is extremely important too.

I always complained about the lack of sleep during revision period or even during the exam weeks, vowing to catch up on this lack of sleep once the papers are over. However, it never seems to happen. "Sleep is for the weak" is one motto I always adopt during those critical moments and to push myself a bit more. When the last paper is over, one naturally expects me to really take it easy and call it an early night. Little did I expect myself to stay awake all the way till like 5.15am before I started to get a little drowsy. I guess when one is so used to living a night life, it's gonna take a little more to change this habit of mine. I ended up telling myself the hols are too short to spend it sleeping. So where does that leave me? Surviving on not more than 6 hours of sleep a day - how ironic.

I like to thank my lucky stars for being staying injury-free and being in the pink of health throughout the semester and this crucial exam period. I've have seen first what an injury can do to someone who's career is in the sporting arena. Seeing how Nicholas having to sit out 2 sports modules and having to retake it because of his knee, it's just sad really. Which is why towards the practical test period for soccer and rugby, I told myself either I ease off abit during my weekend soccer or totally stay off it. In the end, I had to self-terminate my weekend soccer in order to avoid being injured. Well, it's a decision that can only have a positive outcome. Soccer is one sport I can play anytime but the practical test can only occur during this semester. It was something that weighed heavily on my mind throughout the month of October.

I did contemplate playing inter-hall rugby for my friend's hall this hols but contact rugby is so different at university level. All the players are so much bigger and taller than me. Back in the jc days, I still can expect to give my oppnents a fight on the field. To expect to do that now seemed remotely possible. I mean I've been watching the tri-uni games and the recent SUNIG ones as well. Considering that NUS and SMU have like my former ac teammates, the ri and sa ones too and let's not forget the angmoh exchange students. Where does that put a nobody like me? I'm better off playing touch rugby and not embarrassing myself on the field - if I ever make it into the team that is.

The contact days are over for me, let's be realistic about it. I'm afraid to get injured for no reason too and end up missing modules etc. It's simply not worth it when your career is on the line.


was alive and kicking at 11:08 PM


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com