|
|
![]() |
|
![]() |
|
|
Friday, November 28, 2008 There's just too much happening around the world right now. It makes you feel that even though you're very insignificant and living in a small country like Singapore, in some way or another, you're going to be affected. Watching the news just now and hearing that one of your countryman had just perished under the hands of some terrorist in India, it's becoming too unreal. Like the news presenter said "It's the first time a Singaporean had died because of terrorism". We're a small country but not one to mess with. Unlike George Bush who can say stuff like "We'll go to war" because of such incidents, I've faith in my leaders to settle this matter in a way that can give a satisfactory answer to the deceased's family. It also makes you wonder if it's really safe enough to even step out of Singapore. I thought of going to Bangkok for some serious shopping this holidays but I'm glad that the Thai people have decided for me that their country isn't going to make a tourist out of me in 2008. Looks like it's going to be a while before I step foot there. I think it can be quite scary getting stuck in some foreign land and unable to secure any outgoing flights (worse still if you're running out of money). I can imagine my parents worrying like mad if that happens and it's not good because they're getting old. That's the last thing that I want to happen if I for a holiday overseas and such a thing happens. Moments like these makes you appreciate that you're living in a good and secure country with a good government. Terrorists think twice (or even many more times) before they want to strike here. The same goes for the would-be criminals too. I would probably think twice before I kidnap or rob a bank in Singapore because the moment you attempt to make your getaway, the police are already stationed at the checkpoint or airport waiting to "welcome you". Going out to buy stuff when I was in Perth and Korea 4 and 2 years back respectively, was seriously a test of your guts. In Perth, I worry about getting mugged while in Korea, the streets are never as brightly lit as the ones you get in Singapore. It really makes you wonder where exactly are the safest places to go in Asia for sightseeing nowadays.
|
||||
|
|
|
|
|
|