Saturday, December 06, 2008

Soccer today turned out to be pretty fine despite the bad turnout of players. It was also something that I was used to because it's the holiday season and there's bound to be people who were unable to make it due to various reasons (being overseas or just couldn't wake up in time for morning footie action). When I was first arrived with Marvin at ccab, I only saw Kwok there. Well, it was a good move for Kwok to change the location from Dover to ccab because he predicted that in case there was a lousy turnout, we could at least play with the crowd that's already there.

To prepare for the worst scenario where the opposition didn't allow us to play, I wasn't going to let this trip be wasted. Being a person who likes to make the most of situations (good or bad), the empty and re-turf track was so inviting under the cooling late morning sun. A good 2 warm up runs and a further 2 for cooling down were eventually the call of the day as they allowed us to play. Marvin and Kwok were probably not used to girls who can play soccer, sweat it out and put in challenges but it's something that I'm so used to seeing in school.

I didn't manage to get my 5km run under the belt due to soccer but the 4 rounds around the track enabled me to see the girls from Overseas Family School practiced their contact rugby moves on the sidelines of the field. You know the good thing about being a student in these schools (UWC and AIS etc) is that you get to be up close and person with Asian American girls. These are really hot people I must say. My first thought when I see a group of girls with an oval shape ball - must be touch rugby. However, bringing in the lineups and scrums, the whole thing just doesn't add up. It has to be contact or rugby league. Having such visual stimulation makes the 4 rounds alot easier because I know there's something to look forward when I make my way back to the grandstand area.

I wasn't lying when I say I'll travel around Singapore just for a kickabout. The furthest I've gone was Tampines unless you want to take into account the almost daily soccer I've played at my army camp in Changi East (Tanah Merah). They say music knows no boundaries, I can safely say the same for soccer as well. It's through this beautiful game where we can get to know more friends, regardless of language, race or religion (it's damn cliche I know). It's been close to 6 or 7 months since I last played at ccab (the former NIE compound or my future workplace if I choose the specialist route?). Back then, the whole place was in shambles and in a mess literally. The track was being re-laid, the whole place was blocked and the toilet was in a pretty bad state. 7 months later, the track layout had been completed and they've even bothered to renovate the toilet. After a long session of running, tennis or soccer, sometimes the thing we look forward to is having the basic wash up facilities and I'm glad the ccab maangement had taken that into consideration.

The thirst for more soccer is becoming overwhelming. I need to find more sources to get my weekly kick-about.Just like people like to spend their days playing pool (that was so secondary school), playing badminton, basketball or squash, soccer has always been and will continue to be the my first love.


was alive and kicking at 11:54 PM


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com