|
|
![]() |
|
![]() |
|
|
Thursday, February 19, 2009 Reading about the terrible wildfires in Australia, one could be forgiven when it comes to being complacent and that such natural disasters will never happen in Singapore. Reading about Boon Kian's entry on how bush fires are actually taking plae right in Singapore (Tampines for him) and the fact my area is also experiencing the same thing. For people who's been reading the papers and hearing about how Bukit Batok is experiencing one of the bigggest bush fires in Singapore's history, I can say that that area is slightly more than 400 metres away from my flat. Thank goodness my flat is not in the direct line of "fire" because a few other blocks have managed to block out the smoke. I reached home on Tuesday evening and about 50 metres from my flat, the smell of something burning started to tickle my nose real bad and I thought it's because people are burning incense paper but the fact that black and burnt stuff are being blown everywhere by the wind and landing on my clothes tells me otherwise. It felt as if it was raining black charcoal. From the fourth floor of my unit, I could see from afar that the horizon was covered with smoke. Water was being sprayed by the firemen who by now, have been working non-stop for a few days to put out the fires. We're lucky in a way that Singapore, even though we're a small and enclosed country, our firemen and government reacts fast to any potentially dangerous situation. Our arsonists who tries to disrupt the peace and harmony of Singapore will probably not get far. Weather has been pretty bad so far too and I try to stay indoors or in air-conditioned places as much as possible. Even though air conditions have't exactly been excellent in school, I could not bring myself to stop the usual runs I've been used to. Maybe it's the fact that I've spent years playing soccer under the hot sun and getting myself acclimatized to such terrible conditions. Otherwise, it's definitely not recommended to exercise when its after 11am. Even a simple walk to the canteen to grab a meal can leave me perspiring. Well, the library with its excellent air-con never seemed so inviting before. It's time to make the most out of it. Weekends and wednesdays (it's the only day I start school at 4.30pm) have been spent at the sports councils because of my two pe modules. Well, even though it's very far away and that I have to wake up at 7am to get there and back in time, the trips so far have been very rewarding. I even get to stock up on grips from Mr Zainal's shop at Kallang Squash Centre and visit Kallang Leisure Park for the first time before heading back to school. Being able to get a close up look on how the sports council works is really an eye-opener. 10 to 20 years back, one could never imagine that sports would become such a big industry in Singapore. Just like a footballer would say "You could never say never when it comes to a transfer", the same goes for me too. Even though teaching remains a big interest of mine, a chance to work in another sector of the sports industry remains very enticing. It's also the reason why I've chosen to major in Sports Management and Socioloy of Sport (all about keeping the options open in the future). Field trip to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve tomorrow. I don't really like Thursdays because it's a really packed day and the fact that I always have to rush from biogeo class to sociology class. Well, it's even more rushed tomorrow because getting back from Bt Timah is going to be problem and that money has to be spent on a cab. The sad life of a pe student because I'm the only one in the class who has a class at 11.30am. How nice that the tutor has chartered a bus to bring everyone back except me at 11.30am. Well, need I say more? The love for both geo and pe has kept me going right till year 2.
|
||||
|
|
|
|
|
|