|
|
![]() |
|
![]() |
|
|
Friday, May 29, 2009 With only the FA Cup final to look forward to this saturday, one can safely say that the soccer season is all but over. Millions of people stayed up overnight just to catch a glimpse of the two best soccer teams in the world battle it out for the title of European Kings. Just like many of my friends and me, we're able to watch the match as neutrals - as football fans. The reason is simple because the teams that we've supported didn't make it to the finals. People support Barcelona because they don't want manure to win but there are still others like me who still support them because of the beautiful football they play. Thus, it was befitting that they became the new champions because like Fergie said 'give them the ball and they'll pass you to hell'. While there are others out there who said they are like Arsenal but they are able to finish off the final product. How apt. The last day of the epl saw hull surviving the drop while seeing the season teams like Boro and Newcastle go down. Well, the truth is, you're never too good to go down. As much as I don't support the magpies, I do feel a sense of sorrow at seeing them crash to division one because they're a club with a great sense of history. Will they ever end up like Leeds? We'll never know. A drop which never saw the daylights of the barclays premier league again. Weekends nights are going to get a bit more boring with no more footie action on tv but it does leave me with more time for other things. Footballers need a break from their career, so do I. Had a tennis game with Skrtel last week in school before he left for his holiday and the weather was a killer. Even though it was only 10.30am, it felt like it was approaching noon. With temperature like these, one doesn't have to worry about having to book the courts. Nobody in the right mind would want to be out there hitting tennis balls. Well, there was the both of us plus a few other hall people I presume. We even managed to say hi to Mr K who never fails to greet us with his smile. Sometimes, I wish more people can be like him, including me. Nobody what bothers me or how spoilt my day is, I still want to greet my students, colleagues and family with a smile. No point passing on your troubles to the rest I guess. Water breaks were common for that day but it gave me a chance to find out how enjoyable their one week camp was. Have seen some of the photos online and it makes you wonder how the organizers can squeeze so many activities within a week in this island-nation of ours. There are quite a few places that one would have never known to have existed in Singapore I would say without this camp. Naturally the conversation moved on to the future prospects of our classmates and ourselves. Maybe P Wong was right during her first pog session back in year 1. Quite a number of us are going to leave the service after the four years bond. In fact, I hate to agree with her but she's making a very good point. Many of us might stay on in the arena of sports or education but some will definitely leave for greener pastures. I don't usually get emotional over shows but sometimes these shows do get to me. After reaching home, I managed to catch a glimpse of the Tuesday Report on channel 8. Besides my favourite shows like Man vs Wild and Dirty Jobs which are shown on cable tv, it's documentaries like these that make you appreciate how fortunate you are to be simply either alive or to not take for granted the position you're in right now. This week's show touched on how a boyfriend sticked by his girlfriend despite her getting injured from an accident which left her with some physical disabilities. He had already planned to marry her after coming back from his overseas work attachment. It'll probably amazed viewers out there but he did stick to his vow to do so. 'She may have trouble walking or talking but the person and character out there is still the same'. I'm not sure I'll do the same if I was in his shoes. You know, to marry my girlfriend with physical disabilities who might also have difficulty giving birth. Even she was skeptical about his decision because was the marriage proposal due to sympathy? At first thought, I would think so. Well, it's simply true love and it doesn't exist just in fictional books. While people hanker after the latest car models and handphones, I don't. I don't even own a credit/debit card which many of my friends are trying to correct. The thing is, there is no need for one and I certainly won't get one so that my friends will stop bugging me. Yes, this is the modern world where electronic transactions are carried out via cards but as long as cash is accepted, it's not going to be a major problem for me. Life can be very simple and there's no need to make it complicated. I'm happy being who I am.
|
||||
|
|
|
|
|
|