Friday, June 25, 2010

My whole life doesn't revolve around sports and/or soccer that's for sure. However, it's still a rarity for me to forgo some footie action unless I had some valid reasons. Basically there were just two reasons why soccer has taken a backseat on a thursday evening. I received a pretty bad knock on my left thigh one week ago during a challenge for a ball. While I was able to run it off during the game itself, the full impact came when I woke up the next morning and found myself having problems trying to squat or it hurts when I gently poked that area.

The second reason is definitely the most important - my sister and bro-in-law had to fly off to Sydney and Melbourne for their holiday at night. My family has a habit of sending whoever is flying off to the airport via our own cars instead of paying the taxi drivers obscene amounts of money. Since her flight was 12.25am, she had to check in at around 10 plus so my father drove down to the airport. I've no idea why I love going to the airport but it helps that the country I stay in has world-class ones that are safe at the same time. While waiting for them to check in, I told my father if only classes are conducted at night, I might fancy this job a little more (not that I don't in the first place). Since I'm an owl, you could say I can forsee myself volunteering for night shifts at the airport if I was an employee there. Had a bowl of bak chor mee at the 24-hr noodle stall at terminal three's foodcourt before heading home.

One scene actually caught my attention and got me thinking - this steward and stewardess (they're a couple) from SIA were having their last local meal of fried hokkien mee and fried kway teow before they fly off. The first thing I do when I reach Singapore is to head to the terminal one staff canteen because I love the food there and it's not bad. Once I've satisfied my taste buds then I'll head home either by train or if a family member heads down to pick me. They usually offer to but I'll decline their offer unless I had to rush off to somewhere. The train ride allows me to catch up on some much-needed sleep or I can basically give thanks during the journey that I'm born in such a wonderful country.

While Singaporeans can claim that we live in a first-world country, I'm sad to say that the recent downpours have exposed our not-so first-world drainage system. Well, more examples for me to utilize should I be tasked with the chapter on surface runoff during my teaching practicum.


was alive and kicking at 10:27 PM


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com