Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Each trip back to my alma mater never fails to bring back a host of memories. With my secondary school classmates being 'distributed' across the world due to studies and work, you never know whether they're back in Singapore. I'll be happy even if there's only one person accompanying me back to dover road but thanks to kwok ley, charles, noel and wongs for taking precious time out from their schedule. It's just a pity that nus and smu started their term earlier than me and the fact that many of the rest are busy with their working lives. This brings me to the next point - we were literally the 'old boys' considering that many who headed back were still in their junior college uniforms.

Many friends asked me this question when they find out I'm in the teaching professsion, 'So are you heading back to your alma mater to teach?' To be honest, it's every acsian's dream to be able to be able to go back and contribute to the school and I cannot deny that. However, in the immediate future, I do not see myself teaching at dover road because I get alot more satisfaction when working with students from the neighbourhood schools. My juniors don't need me because they're already in good hands but those from the other schools do.

We all seek a purpose in life but somehow mine is alot different from the rest. In a way, many of my colleagues cannot even tell I'm from dover road (until my CT goes around telling them with his jokes). That I see it as a compliment. If every teacher aims to teach in a good school, who is going to take care of the students from the 'lower rungs'? A question for would-be teachers to ponder about.


was alive and kicking at 11:59 PM


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com