|
|
![]() |
|
![]() |
|
|
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 My classmates were probably surprised to see me having a chat with the 179 bus driver while boarding the bus. Imagine the scenario happening at the area where the ezlink card was being tapped, that's where I paused to speak to him while the other undergraduates were alighting. Most Singaporeans would probably find chatty and friendly bus drivers weird. That's the way we've lived our life in this fast-paced city of ours. Our lives revolves around work and then it's back home - how many of us actually stop to acknowledge the services that these people provide for us? Skeptical Singaporeans may start saying they've paid for this public good but it doesn't take much to make someone's day. All it takes is probably a smile. Anyone who sees me talking to that bus driver would probably find me weird too. I've always been a pretty sociable person and if this was happening in the States or Australia, it's really just another day. The fact is, I don't know the bus driver personally and considering he sees a thousand students daily, it's a wonder how he managed to recognize me. Being a PE student, 7.30am lessons have become a part of my curriculum for two semesters. I tend to head out to school real early to have breakfast before starting the day and he usually works the morning shift. The last time I've personally experienced bus drivers greeting their boarding passengers was back in secondary school. As expected, Singaporeans were literally taken aback by his friendliness. Likewise for this nice Indian uncle who I've come to known as well. 'Good morning Sir!' or 'How's your day Sir?' are common greetings for the passengers of 179. He was expressive and didn't say it for the sake of doing so. This morning while travelling to town for a dim sum lunch with my classmates, I asked him whether he was on the morning shift and the conversation just flowed. He added that he's knocking off at noon and asked me whether I had just finished lessons. I politely replied and smiled back before saying bye - the passengers had alighted and it was time for me to move to the back of the bus. It wasn't much but I hoped I've at least made his day. This was similar to the talk that I gave to my normal technical students back in attachment days. Using photos that I took with the school helpers, I asked my students how many of them actually take a step back and ponder this question 'Have you ever smiled or greeted the aunties and uncles in school?'. The question was met with a silence. I would like my students to grow up to be responsible citizens who cares about the people around them. It's not just about scoring that 8A1s but being socially aware of the people around us. For teachers out there, academic work is no doubt important but let's not forget about teaching values.
|
||||
|
|
|
|
|
|