Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Brought my parents to the Tanjong Pagar Railway Station on Sunday for an early dinner and it's been a while since they last stepped into the historic place. Whenever there's good food, you'll definitely see me there. The weekly 'Tuesday Report' documentary did a 2-part series on it and you can definitely say it had helped to create a better awareness among Singaporeans before it closes in July. Considering it's in the Tanjong Pagar district, where else can you get parking for S$2 per entry? Best of all, I get to keep the ticket that I paid for just for memories sake. Most of all the places that we head to now deducts money electronically from our ERP gadgets and it's tough to find one where they place a man there to collect the parking fee from you manually. Call me old school but I still prefer the personal touch anytime.

On weekends, the famous nasi briyani stall owner doesn't do business and he caters mostly to the lunch crowd from the nearby office workers. That's why we headed to another canteen that's literally beside the tracks. It's pretty popular with Malay families who gather there for the food. Everything there is tasty, especially the fried 'pastries' - all the goreng pisang related food and nonya kueh. For the sake of my parents, I ordered only mee soto, mee siam and mee rebus for them cause their diet seriously needs some changes. If I were with my friends, the chicken rice, halal yong tau foo, malay mixed rice and the tze char (which opens in the evening) are options that we would usually consider.

You definitely don't miss the teh tarik since you're there. There are lots of Singaporeans who order just one cup and sit there to chit chat or people watch. The chances of me being spotted there is alot higher than being in some air-conditioned starbucks. My parents and I sat there for another 30 mins plus before we left and I noticed lots of Singaporeans armed with their cameras and taking plenty of photographs. For me, I hope to find the time (perhaps after TP2) and the right company to take a train to somewhere before it all comes to a close. What remains will be beautiful memories for me to pass down to my children and/or grandchildren. Something that they won't have the opportunity to do.

Danga City Mall anyone? To be honest, I would rather take it to some place further away, not just KL Sentral but Buttersworth.


was alive and kicking at 7:29 PM


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com